Things have been crazy around here, but it looks like we might be settling into some sort of routine.
Ryder failed his hearing test in his left ear and needs to go back to the hospital to have it rechecked tomorrow. We aren't too concerned about it as we've been told it's common when it's a fast birth. All the gunk doesn't get squeezed out since they aren't in the birth canal long enough.
We've been to the pediatrician 4 or 5 times (I can't even keep track) since last Wednesday. It seems like I have small babies who like to lose a lot of weight in the first few days of life! He was down to 5 lbs 15 oz when we left the hospital. At the pediatricians their scale said 5.8. So, of course we had to bring him in for weight checks. They were also concerned about jaundice. We had to go to the hospital twice for a bilirubin check. He was also tongue tied so we took him to get his tongue snipped.
Ryder went for his one week checkup yesterday and he is almost 7 lbs already so there is no concern there anymore. I weighed him on our scale today and it said 7.5!
The jaundice test came back high the first time but by Saturday it had dropped so no worries there now either. They never had us use a biliblanket or bililights. The only thing that mentioned was supplementing with some formula but luckily we didn't have to resort to that.
The tongue snipping was no big deal. It took about 3 minutes, bled for about 5 minutes and we were out of there. Being tongue tied can cause speech problems and nursing problems so we decided to get it done sooner rather than later.
He is an awesome eater. He nurses about every 2.5-3 hours. Last night he did some cluster feeding for some reason. I'm so glad I'm not having any of the issues I had with Brityn! I'm a tiny bit sore but at least I'm not bleeding and don't have any holes chewed in me this time :) He can already latch himself on unless he's really worked up.
He is also an awesome sleeper. I don't want to jinx myself but up until Monday night I had to wake him to eat. The last two nights he has woken up twice. I can live with that. Brityn didn't sleep at night, period. And all she wanted to do all night was nurse, but then she would fall asleep. I would lay her down and she would wake up and want to nurse again. The doctor told me yesterday to quit waking him up. He has surpassed his birth weight so I don't have to worry about it. He will eat more during the day to make up for it. Sounds good to me! Except I can't go the whole night without nursing or I will explode. He sleeps most of the day too. Things were not like this with Brityn. I have actually had several hot meals too.
Speaking of Brityn... she loves her baby Ryder. She is constantly giving him hugs and kisses. It is pretty cute. Our problem is she doesn't like Brent and me. She is really testing us. I know she is just trying to adjust to a huge change so we are trying to be patient with her but not let her get away murder either.
::
I've thought of a couple names for the blog... The 4 B's or Great Brityn and Knight Ryder. Thoughts? Better idea's? Give them to me.
::
I know I'm leaving you all hanging with the birth story but I want to take some time to work on it so I don't leave anything out. It's a good one. Or a terrible one depending on how you look at it... I'm still leaning towards terrible since things did NOT go anywhere near what I had planned.
4 comments:
glad to hear things are going so well despite several more trips to the doctor's than planned. love his cute little pics! xoxo
Thanks for the update! i'm glad to hear that things are going so well and hang in there with Brityn, she will come around. I remember when around 2 months after Bailey was born Mike and I looked at each other and realized that Kendra was back to her 100% normal self. And don't worry, she did slowly get better, it wasn't awful for that long! :)
Congratulations!! You have a beautiful family!!
Love-
The Chatriands
I LOVE Great Brityn and Knight Ryder. Just wanted to throw my two cents in! The pictures are awesome, you guys all look great!
Loves Ya, Rach
Post a Comment