Thursday, April 9, 2009

Peanuts No More

We got the results back on Brityns allergy tests and blood work. Unfortunately it was not good news. She does, in fact, have a severe peanut allergy. They rate allergies on a scale of 1-6, 6 being the worst. She is a 5. She is also allergic to egg whites, level 3. I'm still trying to process all this and figure out how this is going to affect our way of life. We will have to have an EpiPen and Benadryl with her at all times, reading labels will become a way of life, choosing places to eat out will have to be researched and staff questioned, she will need to wear a medic alert bracelet, the list goes on.

As far as the egg allergy goes, I don't believe it is life threatening. She has had her share of eggs in the last couple months and I've never seen a reaction. The nurse said if we can keep her away from egg white for a year or so that allergy could go away. I assume she will be retested every so often to make sure nothing has gotten worse or new allergies have arisen.

The blood work also showed her protein levels were low, the nurse used the word "malnourished". I don't even know what to say about this... how does a child, living in America and not in poverty, become malnourished? I guess I just won parent of the year. Anyway, we have to increase her protein and have her retested in 3 months.

Everyone please keep her in your prayers that maybe she will be one of the lucky ones who outgrows this.

3 comments:

katy said...

Oh no! I am so sorry to hear that! I hope that she grows out of both allergies in the future! Did your allergist give you any recommendations on food substitutes?

The Synnott's said...

nurses can be so harsh. she looks great. so sorry to hear about the allergy. i have a friend who has a severe peanut allergy and i know it can get in te way but once you figure it out it will be like nothing is different! i have to say apple butter instead of peanut butter is better for you :-)

Dani McDermott said...

Well we both won that award then. Ty was "malnourished" at 1, and look at the monster now. I guess his protein was low as well. UMMM, we are the biggest meat eaters I know????? My kids ask for veggies.
I was 30 pounds over weight and considered "obese" so dont stress too much. As far as the allergies we will keep her in our prayers and pray the ultimate healer does so. (Bailea and Hunter were allergic to MAMMALS milk...ie: Me) She will outgrow it. If not, peanuts are fattening, she will be slim like her Mommy. Love you!