Monday, February 7, 2011

3 Years, 2 Months, Work, ER, Hospital Stays, and Asthma

So much has been happening. I have so many posts I need to write. My computer quit working about 2 weeks ago. I tried to do a post from my phone on Brityn's birthday and it came out looking like Brityn did the post (thanks Caitlin for pointing it out to me!). I went back to work part time on the 1st, very part time. I'm working 3-4 hours a day, four days a week. It was so much easier to go back this time, probably because I knew ahead of time I was only going back part time. I didn't plan on it with Brityn but after realizing how hard it was to be away from her I decided I had to or I would have had a nervous breakdown ;) There was no pressure to go back at all, last time my bosses were going on vacation and the other girl working there was not capable of being left alone! I took eight weeks off this time rather than six, I would have taken twelve weeks but I figured the longer I stayed home the harder it would be on Ryder and me to go back.

Brityn turned 3 years old January 23rd! I still can't believe my little baby girl is not a baby any more! She is 3!

Ryder is 2 months old as of yesterday. Time is flying by so much faster with him than it did with Brityn, and it flew by fast with Brityn. It's really warp speed now!

My computer is finally fixed, I just need to go pick it up. Once I do they will both get their own posts.

Saturday I had to take Brityn to the ER. Thursday she started getting a runny nose, by Friday she had a cough, and by Saturday morning she was having trouble breathing. The nebulizer was not helping, even for 10 minutes, so I took her in. Her oxygen levels were low so they started doing breathing treatments trying to get it back up. Of course it wasn't doing much to help. So they started her on oxygen and that helped a little. After being there for 4 hours and nothing working they decided to start her on steroids and admit her to the hospital.

Brent decided it was my turn to do the hospital thing so he got to stay with Ryder and I got to stay with Brityn. Truthfully I would have preferred he stayed with her, she's a little better behaved with him than me. The steroids made her very cranky and hyper. We had a Loooong night. We both got about 2-3 hours of sleep, most of it was spent with her crying and yelling at me. All that on top of having to pump milk for Ryder, ugh, good times!

They released her yesterday. She has to do 4 more days of oral steroids and month of inhaled steroids. She is also on antibiotics for a little ear infection. She is doing good though.

Our doctor still hasn't "officially" diagnosed Brityn with asthma... but after this fiasco I'm about 100% sure she does have it. We are changing pediatricians. I'm really disappointed in the care we have been receiving lately. There was no mention of her being hospitalized or any of the breathing problems at her 3 year check up. I'm not going to go in to all of the details but there has been several incidences of her doctor not being familiar with Brityn's medical background... um, it's all there in her chart... I don't expect you to remember every patients details... but, give that chart a glance before you walk in the room! Just a suggestion.

2 comments:

Reba said...

i'm sorry brityn had to be in the hospital! that is sooo scary. great idea to change doctors. are you working part-time permanently or will you eventually go back to full-time? i still don't know if i will ever make the leap back to full-time. i would really miss having the extra day off with my gal.

ABJ&G said...

We are so sorry that Brityn is sick again and hope she is feeling much better! The time goes fast doesn't it? It seems different for us the second time around as well. Congrats on a beautiful family.