Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Read It Again, Mommy

Brityn has always been very interested in books. She will bring as many as her little hands can carry and make us read that stack and when they are done she will go back for more. I always hoped my children would love to read because I love it so much myself. It used to be, we would read a book once and she would go get more, now she is starting to want the same books read over and over. When she was smaller her favorites were definitely the word books, you know the ones that show a picture of every item on the earth and the name for it. I know those books are wonderful for learning words but they are SO boring. She still enjoys those books but luckily her tastes are expanding to actual stories.

Since she was about 3 or 4 months old I have been reading Goodnight Moon every single night without fail. After reading it for a few months I was even able to recite it from memory which has come in handy a couple times. The last month or so one book before bed is just not enough for Brityn so she added Love You Forever, now I don't if any of you have read this book or are familiar with it but let me tell you, it is a tear jerker. I had probably read this book 15 times before adding it to the bedtime routine and had never been able to make it through without crying. Now that I've read it, probably 100 times I am able to get through it with dry eyes. It is one of those book she would make me read 10 times a day if I didn't put it up on the high shelf of books I don't give her easy access to... because sometimes little miss Brityn likes to tear up her beloved books!

So, we are up to 2 books before bed and then she gets sick and decides 2 is just not enough. Now we have to read Thank You Prayer also. Okay, she is sick so I give in. But now that she is feeling better I try to keep it to 2 books, you can see how this can get out of control right?!?

Goodnight Moon is still read every night without fail but we alternate between the other 2.

Last week she got 2 new books that she has been making us read over and over, actually she got 4 books but she is only obsessed with 2 of them. How Do Dinosaurs Say I Love You? and Yummiest Love. These are both very cute books if your looking for something for a toddler. We've only had them a week so I'm curious to see if they stay on the must read list.

No comments: